Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Crysis 2 - Review

Crysis 2

I remember when I played the first Crysis, it was really the best looking game I have ever played in my entire life.
Crysis 2 simply does not feel like its previous part, the setting is in a concrete jungle instead of a magnificent southern paradise.
Graphically the game has advanced but it really shouldnt be a surprise that after so many years the developers manage to make a game that looks even better than the previous one.
 But to be honest I am worried that the console ports have forced the developers to downgrade the graphics simply that they could sell more copies to the console gamers. Which is completely fine from a business viewpoint but it just breaks my heart to see a potentially beautiful game reduced into a beautiful game for consoles, because let's face it; the consoles are running extremely old technology which simply does not allow the developers to have completely free hands to make their games with.

The game itself is quite enjoyable, the nanosuit powers have been made several times better than in the previous part. The reason for this is that many of the powers have been combined and this works really well in my opinion. The powers can be upgraded as the game progresses which gives a nice tactical variety for some encounters but I still wish there were more things that you could tweak in your suit and powers. 
Maybe thats just me though
.
The story is a serie of backstabbings and events that you can easily predict when you first see the characters and the environments. 
The aliens have been made into more enjoyable foes than in the first Crysis, it is actually fun to kill these squidheads!

The weapons are still quite customizeable but do you honestly need anything else than a silenced sniper rifle which is able to kill the regular enemies with one shot?
Though I have to say that C4 is really awesome for killing those big armored aliens, sneak up on them with the cloak and slap a few C4s to their back and then run away cackling like a maniac while detonating the C4 attached to the alien bastard. Good times.

All in all Crysis 2 is not the messiah of modern FPS' like its predecessor, but it still has several fun things in it which make it quite enjoyable.



Score:
8,5/10

3 comments:

  1. We have gotten to the point where 'our graphics look amazing' is not a bragging point, it is a requirement. Its time for the storylines to come back into western gaming. (and no, I don't care if JRG have good stories, I am not playing another game at a pre-pubescent girl, just for storyline)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's better than the previous one the gameplay is just awesome
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so much about Crysis, but I've never played them. It looks like I'm missing out. And I agree with XPS top notch graphics and interface is almost like a standard now.

    ReplyDelete